Monday, August 06, 2007

Peru: The Sunflower Orphanage


The Sunflower....

My time at the Sunflower orphanage in Peru touched my heart in ways imaginable.
I never knew I could fall in love so quickly. The children seriously captured my heart. They were all so beautiful with their big white eyes, dark hair, and infectious smiles. When I asked 11 yr old Jason what his favorite day of the week was, he told me, “Sunday. Because it’s the day most important to God.” These children were spiritual giants…so humble and giving.

Although we worked so hard (digging multiple trenches, mixing cement, making mortar, hanging 800 pound gates, shoveling/transporting rocks, creating a cobblestone walkway, painting the bathroom ceiling while standing on the shower ledges, digging 3x3x3 ft holes in cement-like dirt; it was more of a spiritual experience than anything else. I felt like everything made sense there – life was simple and clear, it was easier to feel the spirit, and there was time to notice the stars. Although their circumstances are meager, I envy them for their way of life.


I can't wait to go back. And I start my Spanish classes on Thursday, so wish me luck.


2 comments:

Dani said...

Can I go with you next time? Kurt won't miss me. :)

George said...

I have gone on mission trips to Peru and I have two very close friends who are going to intern at The Sunflower. I am going to send them here to read about your experience.